Message Sent Successfully!E-mail another Friend
A comfortable bed is vital to having a good night’s sleep, and one of the most important parts of the bed is the mattress. There are many types of mattress, from pocket-sprung to memory foam, and different people may feel more or less comfortable on different types. Here’s a rundown of all you need to know about mattresses and how to pick the perfect one for you.
Signs You Need A Mattress
Mattresses have a shelf life, and you know you need a new one if any of the following apply:
- You’ve had your mattress for more than seven years
- You wake up feeling stiff or sore
- You don’t sleep as well as you used to
- You get a better night’s sleep in another bed
- Your mattress looks old, and shows signs of wear and tear
What You Should Consider
There are a few things to consider before committing to a mattress:
- Size – Standard mattress sizes in the UK differ slightly to sizes in Europe, therefore you should check the measurements against your bed frame to ensure you get the right size. If it’s too small it might slide around during the night, and if it’s too big it won’t fit on the bed!
- Price – Mattresses are long-term investments, and the price normally reflects this. Avoid poorer quality mattress as, even if they are cheaper, you won’t want to sleep on bumpy lumps for the next half decade!
- After Sale Service – You should also keep in mind the service provided when you buy the mattress, like whether they deliver or help you load it to your vehicle, as well as the warranty guarantee.
- Who’s Sleeping On It – If you share a bed, make sure you pick a mattress suitable for both of you, or a mattress that lets you change the level of firmness on separate sides.
Mattresses are generally either sprung or filled, however there are also hybrid versions that have both.
Spring mattresses come in two main types:
- Open Coil – These are formed from several rows of interconnected springs, meaning they provide less support than other types of mattress. However, they are available in a variety of comfort levels and are generally good value for what you pay.
- Pocket Spring – Pocket spring mattresses have independent springs rather than interconnected, giving your body better support. But are generally more expensive than open coil mattresses.
Mattresses without springs come in three varieties:
- Gel – Made from multiple gel layers, these mattresses mould to your shape to provide good body support. They are normally somewhere between hard and soft, and are also good at regulating temperature. However they aren’t always widely available, and are relatively new therefore there is little known about how long they can last.
- Foam – Foam mattresses also mould to your body shape and provide relief if you suffer from back pain, while they are also useful if you suffer from allergies. On the other hand they retain body heat, and can sometimes be uneven in terms of firmness.
- Latex – Latex mattresses are durable, and are good at regulating body temperature and preventing allergic reactions, but they can be quite firm compared to other types of mattress.
Hybrid mattresses offer a middle ground between the support of a non-sprung mattress and the responsive feel of a sprung mattress. However the quality of the mattress depends on the interior filling and type of spring used.
After Buying A Mattress
Once you’ve got your perfect mattress, it might take some time before you get completely used to it. Give it a few nights and let it shape to your body before thinking about returning it.
Maintaining your mattress properly will help extend its life, meaning you won’t have to spend another fortune in a years’ time. Remember to turn your mattress over 3-4 times a year so the wear and tear is spread evenly, and vacuum the mattress when you turn it to keep allergens and dust at bay. Air your mattress when you first buy it, and continue doing this every day to let moisture and sweat evaporate.
At Jurys Inn we know how important it is to get a good sleep, and with the right mattress you’re sure to get just that. Drop in to one of our many city centre hotels for a relaxing night’s rest, and keep an eye out for the Jurys Inn DREAM Bed found in 8 of our hotels – with the custom made luxury coil spring mattress base, you’ll be dreaming in minutes!