United Kingdom | Posted 30 Mar 2015
We’re on a mission to help Brits fall back in love with the UK and discover some of the amazing sights and experiences that are on their own doorsteps. With this is mind we’re hosting The Verdict 2015 on May 7th in Birmingham, the ultimate pub quiz where we hope to track down the country’s brainiest resident who knows their Blighty trivia inside-out and understands what makes Great Britain so, well, great!
Who better to help us out than a man who really knows his stuff - the UK Apprentice's Nick Hewer! Lord Alan Sugar’s trusted advisor will be taking a break from the boardroom and hosting duties on Countdown to help us launch The Verdict. You may be familiar with Nick’s no-nonsense approach on TV, but we’ve pulled together some interesting trivia on the man himself to get you better acquainted with our quizmaster.
- His full name is Nicholas Radbourn Hewer.
- He was born in Swindon but educated in Co Kildare, Ireland.
- He has two sisters and two brothers.
- He started his own PR company in 1966 which was selected to represent Amstrad in the eighties and soon became responsible for media-handling all of Alan Sugar’s business and charitable activities.
- For over 20 years Nick played an integral part in Amstrad’s management structure. He also built a long and impressive client list, including the Secretariat of HH The Aga Khan and the wife of the ruler of Dubai, the late Sheikh Maktoum, as well as a number of British and international companies.
- He is the longest-serving presenter of Channel 4’s Countdown.
- In July 2008 he took part in the charity drive event, the Mongol Rally, in a Renault 4, driving from London to Ulan Bator and raising over £12,000 for Hope and Homes for Children. He wrote a series of blogs about his journey for the online travel section of the Daily Telegraph.
- On 2 November 2012, he received an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from Kingston University recognising his 'outstanding contribution to business and entrepreneurship’.
- Taking to television like a duck to water, Nick has since amassed a string of credits from Have I Got News For You and Farm Fixer to The Town That Never Retired, Nick and Margaret: Too Many Immigrants? to Freetown.
- He has two children and splits his time between his home in Bordeaux in the South of France and Nottinghamshire where he lives with his wife.