Ahoy Titanic sleuths and curious seekers of authentic Titanic fact and fiction. On April 14, 2012, Belfast and the world acknowledge the 100th year anniversary of the demise of the fantastic oceanic marvel - the Titanic. An amazing mark in history, the story of the Titanic remains one of the most impressive and heart-wrenching sagas ever recorded. With the Titanic being glorified as the largest, fastest, finest luxury liner ever created, being pronounced at that time as infamously unsinkable clearly keeps the life of such an incredible vessel vividly alive long after the waters have calmed.
Belfast, Ireland, birth place of the Titanic will long time remember and retain the connection and ownership rights to the legendary chapters which the days of the Titanic created within this community. Cooperatively to this day, the world mourns, yet celebrates the essence of the Titanic's unwavering potential alongside the unfathomable loss of so many passengers by coming together as a world-wide community.
Within Belfast and surrounding areas, festivals and various special events reach out in memoriam of such an amazing moment in history. Belfast hotels quickly fill with sentimental seekers, history buffs and people from all walks of interest. Historical tours are available providing actual construction pictures, facts and stories surrounding the life of the Titanic. Even the Belfast Titanic Society was developed as a resource of Titanic's continuing historical preservation. Through endearing and respectful Belfast societal and community efforts, the life and death of the Titanic shall live on forever paying homage to an incredible and unforgettable time.
Belfast's historical loyalty is linked to all things "Titanic". Reliving the depths of the Titanic's lasting impression is expressed through many venues for all to explore. Gain insight into Titanic’s historical attitudes and craftsmanship through numerous public venues available. Below, see community opportunities and available tours to satisfy your Titanic cravings.
* Retracing the Unsinkable: The Titanic Centenary- Southampton City Art Gallery’s Biennial Open Exhibition, 17 March – 29 April 2012
* Southampton City Libraries Favorite Book to Share Award 2012, 1 April - 30 July
* A Titanic Day for all the Family, Monday 2 April at 11am and 3pm
* 100th Anniversary Commemorative Service, Sunday 15 April at 2pm
* Titanic Cultural Day, Saturday 21 April
* Belfast City Hall Tours, Monday - Friday 11 a.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m.; Saturday 2 p.m., 3 p.m.
* Bus Tours of Queen's Island. Saturdays and Sundays in April and May (check for blackout dates)
* Titanic Walking Tours, daily in April and May from Premier Inn, Titanic Quarters 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
* Titanic Boat Tours, daily 31 March through 30 May, 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. from Donegall Quay
* Titanic's Dock and Pump House, daily tours in April and May
* Titanic Harbour and H&W Crane Tour, daily 31 March - 31 May, 3:30 p.m.
* Walking Tours - Thomas Andrews' Belfast, every Saturday and Sunday in April and May, 11 a.m. Charges or fees may apply. Please check with operators.