The word "safari" evokes an exotic hunt, but for the fine restaurants strung like gems along the necklace of Regent Street, the chase is about discovering wonderful global cuisines. And no need to dust off your passport, either--this vibrant melange of offerings by these restaurants is within walking distance.
Running from 3 October 2011 to 17 October 2011, restaurateurs at the Regent Street Food Safari will showcase signature dishes with sample plates, and the global tastes available here well may surprise you. Indulge yourself with gastronomic escapes to India, Italy, Asia; enjoy a fresh take on European cuisine.
Have tastebuds, will travel? Muse on the following selections:
• The Living Room is offering chicken, sage and pancetta skewers with roasted red pepper aioli, £5.95; Thai fish cakes with marinated cucumber and sweet chilli, £5.95; or oyster, flat and girolle mushrooms with garlic and chilli on toasted ciabatta, £5.95;
• The National Geographic Cafe is highlighting a cheese-tasting plate with Parmigiano Reggiano, Manchego, and Peccorino Sardo with honey and raisins, £6.50; or grilled Peri peri chicken and chorizo skewers with Piquillo pepper sauce, £6.50;
• Fishworks is featuring South Coast scallops with garlic butter and breadcrumbs with a glass of Albarino, £12.00; or homemade smoked mackerel pate with toasted bread, £4.50;
• Bentley's Oyster Bar and Grill is offering 6 oysters and a glass of Picpoul de Pinet, £9.95;
• La Bottega del Caffé is showcasing a trio of Italian cakes (La Dolce Vita), £7; Borlotti bean soup with durum wheat pasta, £7; or their mozzarella roll filled with salmon and rocket, £7;
• belowzero restaurant+lounge is featuring truffle and spinach croquettes, crispy onion rings with confit garlic aioli, £4; coconut panna cotta martini, crispy pineapple, tropical sorbet, £4; or salt and pepper prawns with chilli and garlic, £4;
• Freggo is offering a two-flavour cone with Lemon and Malbec and Berries sorbets, £2; a cup of two flavours, dulce de leche and banana-chocolate, £2; or an Argentinean empanada, £2;
• Tidbits is highlighting a small plate from the food boat, £6.50;
• and Sartoria is serving calamari fritti with amalfi lemon, £8; a selection of sliced salami, bresaola, coppa, and prosciutto, served with homemade pickles, £14; or buffalo mozzarella, £7.
Pack your appetite and if you need a hotel check out the Jurys Inn range of hotels in London.